DefinitionsBack to Professional Qualification Requirement
A formal system to evaluate the quality of services and competency of organizations, systems, training programs or healthcare facilities.
The Regulatory Authorities within the United Arab Emirates according to the geographical jurisdiction, Ministry of Health (MOH), Department of Health -Abu Dhabi and Dubai Health Authority (DHA).
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
A range of learning activities through which healthcare professionals maintain and develop their knowledge and skills throughout their career to ensure that they retain their capacity to practice safely, effectively and legally within their evolving scope of practice. CPD is also referred to as Continuing Medical Education (CME).
A process whereby specific licensing title is assigned to a healthcare professional based on qualifications, training, experience and current practice.
Hands on clinical experience gained by a licensed healthcare professional during a salaried employment/contractual period and it excludes volunteer jobs, Observership, or clinical attachment.
Fitness to practice
A status where the healthcare professional is able to consistently demonstrate appropriate professional conduct and behavior, and has the required skills and knowledge to practice without any impediments i.e. physical or others.
Gap of Practice
A defined period of discontinuation of clinical experience/ practice.
Good Standing Certificate (GSC)
A certificate showing evidence that the healthcare professional is competent to practice the profession, has not been found guilty of unprofessional conduct, and that there are no pending or previous disciplinary orders or criminal proceedings against the healthcare professional.
A field of healthcare recognized by the Authority.
A person who by education, training, certification and licensure is qualified to provide healthcare services.
A period of supervised clinical practice pursued by graduates of healthcare programs to consolidate the knowledge gained during their study.
A permission granted by the Authority to practice a healthcare profession.
A process of granting a legally protected professional title by the Authority.
A body in charge of granting, suspending, revoking or limiting healthcare licenses and privileges.
Primary Source Verification
A process of validating documents required for licensure from the issuing organization.
An educational evidence granted by universities, colleges, academic institutes or schools that are nationally accredited or formally recognized.
A term used to indicate a category of post graduate qualifications for physicians and dentists based on the level and the presence of the following:
- Structure of the Training/ Residency program
- Training governance
- Training curriculum
- Quality assurance and audit of program
- Entry level examination
- Defined program competency framework
- Competency based assessment during training
- Hands-on training and independent practice
- Progression of responsibility during training and measurable outcomes at each level
- Final certifying exam (National level)
- Independence to practice post qualification
- Cross recognition of the qualification by other Authorities to practice independently
- Requirement to maintain the licensing/ qualification
- ACGME: Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
- ACLS: Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- AIMS: Australian Institute of Medical laboratory Sciences
- ARRT: American Registry of Radiological Technologists
- ASAR: Australian Sonography Accreditation Registry
- ASCP: American Society for Clinical Pathology
- BLS: Basic Life Support
- BDS: Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- BSc: Bachelor of Science
- BTLS: Basic Trauma Life Support
- CORU: Regulation Health and Social Care Professionals (Ireland)
- CME: Continuing Medical Education
- CPD: Continuing Professional Development
- CSMLS: Canadian Society for Medical laboratory Sciences
- CSS: Central Sterile Services
- DDS: Doctor of Dental Surgery
- DHA: Dubai Health Authority
- DMD: Doctor of Medical Dentistry
- ECG: Electrocardiogram
- EEG: Electroencephalogram
- EMG: Electromyogram
- FAIMER: Foundation for the Advancement International Medical Education and Research
- GP: General Practitioner
- GSC: Good Standing Certificate
- HCPC: Health and Care Professions Council - United Kingdom
- IMED: International Medical Education Directory
- IVF: In Vitro Fertilization
- MBBS: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- MBChB: Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae
- MOH: Ministry of Health - UAE
- MOE: Ministry of Education
- MRI: Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- NCLEX: National council licensure examination
- NQA: National Qualification Authority
- NZ: New Zealand
- PALS: Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- PHARM. D: Doctor of Pharmacy
- PHD: Doctor of philosophy
- PHTLS: Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support
- PQR: Healthcare Professionals Qualification Requirements
- RCPS: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons
- UAE: United Arab Emirates
- UK: United Kingdom
- USA: United State of America
- WHO: World Health Organization