Intermediate Training ProgramBack To Medical Education and Examination
Experience Equivalency Program
Experience Equivalency training is for non-UAE graduates who require experience to cover the requirement as stated in PQR 2022.
How to enroll in Experience Equivalency Program
- You should apply for e-licensing system, the licensing department will review the application and will decide the training and CME requirement.
For information on how to apply for e-licensing system, please contact email@example.com
- When you receive the comment from licensing that you need training, Download the programmes list
- Search for the specialty and training facility
- Contact the training facility directly
Minimum requirements for Pharmacy Experience Equivalency
In order to standardize the Pharmacy Training Program in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, the DoH has identified the minimum requirements:
- Orientation of the pharmacy: Familiarization with the pharmacy, including knowledge of the facility, space, allocation of different services, staff and daily routines.
- Receiving the prescription: Ensure that prescription information is legible, completely accurate and appropriate for the patient.
- Pharmacy patient care: Possess experience with patient interviews and provide medication education, manage drug interaction and resolve gaps in care. In addition, describe and apply clinical guidelines to patient care.
- Dispensing systems management: Outline typical pharmacy dispensing workflows, evaluate prescriptions for legitimate medical use and adopt existing drug therapy guidelines.
- Drug information: Develop a variety of drug-related report monographs, reviews and policies during the use of a drug. Access appropriate drug information resources for patient education.
- Business management: Understand inventory cost and level or order points. Describe basic finance terms and analyze a financial statement.
- Medication safety and quality: Describe national standard, guidelines, best practice and establish principles and processes related to quality as safe medication use.
- Pharmacy Federal Law: Understand laws and regulations that affect the pharmacy practice. Apply federal laws and regulations affecting legal operation of a pharmacy.
- Insurance types and considerations: Learn about the different types of health insurance coverage that are available in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
Approved pharmacy training sites are authorized to accept experience equivalency applicants directly without referring to DoH. The submission period will be scheduled to start three months of the Gregorian Calendar year from:
- 1st of February till end of February
- 1st June till end of June
- 1st October till end of October
Note: Any application submitted after the selected dates will not be accepted and the trainee must then wait until the next starting date.
Rules and Responsibilities
Pharmaceutical Education Manager:
- Manages the training program at an approved training site.
- Based on DoH eligibility criteria, assigns trainees to the approved training sites.
- Report to the DoH for quarterly updates regarding the pharmacy training changes (example trainee transfers, withdrawal, completion, etc.).
- Resolve any misunderstandings or disagreements between tutor and trainee.
- Assure the training site and rotation of Preceptors are well-maintained.
- Meets with the DoH representative to provide updates regarding the (random) DoH monitoring visits.
- After the completion of the required training period, issue end of training certificate.
- Complete the 1-year training with a maximum cumulative break of 28 calendar days.
- Perform routine tasks such as receiving and preparing the prescriptions, checking expiry dates and labeling bottles.
- Report any disputes with/concerns about the tutor to the Pharmaceutical Education Manager.
- Evaluate the training program after completion.
- Continue pharmacy training with an expired approval.
- Register narcotic/controlled medication in DoH registers.
- Re-apply for the training program after completion (applicant is allowed to be enrolled in the training program only once).
- Provide trainees with an overview of the current healthcare environment.
- Expose trainees to current standards of care, health-systems and UAE laws.
- Provide trainees with the opportunity to grow both professionally and personally, through interaction with healthcare professionals.
- Provide trainees with opportunities to become an integral part of the department in the area they have been assigned.
- Provide initial trainee evaluation to the Pharmaceutical Education Manager.
- Report any disputes/concerns about the trainee to the Pharmaceutical Education Manager.
- Preceptor patient counseling and dispensing.
- Preceptor handling controlled and narcotic medication.
- Preceptor dosage form reformulation changes (if applicable).