Research and Innovation Center
Research and Innovation Programs
Through our programs DOH ensures that safe and effective drugs are available to improve the health of the people in Abu Dhabi.
Restrictions on Dispensing of Selected Broad Spectrum Antimicrobials
Reference to circulars number 135/2021 and 31/2022 regarding restrictions on dispensing of selected broad spectrum antimicrobials, below are the updated annex 1 list and exempted outpatient pharmacies lists:
Updated Annex 1: List of antibiotics for Outpatient Pharmacies (updated 31-Jan-2022)
Exempted Outpatient Pharmacies (updated 31-Jan-2022)
ANTIMICROBIAL STEWARDSHEIP PROGRAM
- The increasing antimicrobial resistance is imposing scientific, economic, governance and societal challenges endangering public health worldwide. Coordinated approach at global, regional, local, community and even at institutional level is much needed.
- Antimicrobials are in general overused/ misused in healthcare facilities. DOH is more concerned about broad-spectrum antibiotics misuse for minor outpatient conditions. Overuse/ misuse of antimicrobials is resulting in increasing antibiotic resistance limiting treatment options.
- DOH requires all hospitals and day surgery centers in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi to establish a functional Antimicrobial stewardship program
- ASP represents a multidisciplinary coordinated programmatic effort that promotes the optimal selection of antimicrobial treatment, dosage and duration that results in the best possible clinical outcome for the treatment or prevention of infection, with minimal toxicity to the patient and minimal impact on the subsequent antibiotic resistance profile.
- Effective implementation of ASP requires strong commitment, investment and resource allocation from hospital management that would support the business case of antimicrobial stewardship. It also entails training of key staff members, in addition to the development of appropriate processes and supporting systems.
- DOH has adopted multi-faceted, coordinated comprehensive strategy to curb the increasing antimicrobial resistance. The main objectives of DOH ASP Program are as below
Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP)
|1||Evidence Generation – Decision-making||Data Analyses – Antibiotic consumption, dashboard development, use of data analytics and Ai tools|
|2||Educational Sessions/ Awareness||DOH has conducted 14 educational sessions - Targeted facilities/ physicians using data analyses|
|3||Design interventions||Regulatory, administrative, reimbursement, educational|
|4||Regulatory Framework and Enforcement||ASP - standard and guidelines published, audit, OTC sale, Annual ASP reports|
|5||Stakeholders involvement, contributing in National Committees, Institutional uplifting, improve governance||Contributed in NAP development, WHO assessment – Involved healthcare facilities leadership, regular engagement, Foster collaboration within and across facilities|
|6||Administrative||Supply issues, Access control (balancing reimbursement plans), Formulary restrictions|
|7||Monitoring and Evaluation||Regular data analyses, pre and post assessments|
GS1 Barcoding of Drugs
- GS1 - a global standard of barcoding offers the functionalities and solutions to strengthen drug supply chains. Full implementation of GS1 barcoding system will enable us to monitor drug supplies and take corrective actions to minimize supply interruptions, having quality products available, prevent entry of counterfeit drugs and reduce unnecessary higher drug cost.
- GS1 standards are being adopted by most countries. Several Gulf countries are actively working towards full implementation of GS1 barcoding requirements.
- Streamlining drug supply and enhancing efficiency, transparency and reliability
- Implementing unified GS1 barcoding on drugs used along the entire supply chain
- Centralize tracking of drug supplies - Utilize barcode scanning to obtain drug supply information through digital portal for better planning and appropriate actions
- Oversight inventory management of drugs supplied to AD emirate
- Address/ mitigate weaknesses in drug supply (minimize drug shortages and supply interruptions)
- Develop drug supply database for future analyses
- Support DoH Digital Health Strategy
- Enhance patient safety across the Emirate of Abu Dhabi
- DoH Chairman decree 39/2020 issued on 21st July 2020 to mandate GS1 barcoding on pharmaceuticals
- Stakeholder consultation meetings held with stakeholders: MOHAP & DHA, CCAD, SEHA, RAFED, Pharma Manufacturing companies, Drug stores and suppliers.
- Created DOH account on (GS1 database)
- Monitoring the implementation and performance of companies on BrandSync