Requirements and Considerations for Dentists
Dentists Licensure Requirements
Dentists applying for licensure must fulfill the following requirements must hold one of the following degrees:
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
- DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine)
- DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
- Equivalent from a nationally accredited dental school/college
- For graduates from UAE dental colleges/universities, the program and university must be accredited by the Ministry of Education (MOE/NQA).
- All dentists are required to successfully complete one (1) year i.e. 12 months internship post- graduation.
- Applicants must hold a valid License/ Registration to practice in their home country and/or country of last employment (where applicable).
- Applicants accepted into the Authorities’ Approved Residency Programs will be granted the licensure title “Resident”.
A recognized Dental Specialty certificates that is listed in the current PQR will be accepted with the following conditions:
- Must be obtained after a full-time structured clinical residency program of minimum three (3) years course duration.
- Clinical Master degree of minimum two (2) years full time course duration.
- Clinical PhD of minimum three (3) years full time course duration.
- Specialization certificates with stated validity period will not be considered if invalid at the time of application.
- Specialists with Tier 1 or 2 qualifications are not required to have experience post qualification in the specialty field.
- Applicants with specialization qualification in any Dentistry recognized specialty but have no experiences per the criteria may be accepted as General Dentists, apart from qualifications in Dental Radiology, Forensic Dentistry, Dental Pathology or Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Are not required to have clinical experience post internship.
- Specialists with Tier 3 qualifications require at least one (1) years’ experience post qualification in the specialty field.
Non UAE nationals:
- Graduates from UAE universities: exempt from experience post internship.
- Graduates from non UAE universities: are required to fulfill experience as per their relevant titles according to the PQR.
The following standard will apply to the UAE national Dentists who started post graduate training prior to the publication of this PQR:
- if the qualification obtained is moved to a lower tier in the new PQR, then the previous credentialing criteria will apply.
- if the experience required is reduced in this current PQR, then the new criteria will be applied.
Qualification and Experience Requirements for Dentist Licensure
|Intern||Successful completion of five (5) years course duration dental program (BDS/DMD/DDS) Or Equivalent recognized by MOE/NQA||No experience required|
|Resident||Successful completion of five (5) years course duration dental program (BDS/DMD/DDS) Or equivalent recognized by MOE/NQA||Successful completion of internship program And Additional requirements as per the relevant Authority’s residency standards|
|General Dentist||BDS, DMD, DDS, or equivalent||Successful completion of internship program And Two (2) years clinical experience|
|Specialist||BDS, DMD, DDS, or equivalent And Completion of specialty qualification as per the Recognized Specialty Certificate table||
|Consultant||BDS, DMD, DDS, or equivalent And Completion of specialty qualification as per the Recognized Specialty Certificate table||
- Special experience considerations are applied on UAE Nationals and Graduates from the UAE universities, as mentioned above.