Requirements and Considerations for Physicians
Applicants must fulfill all the following requirements in order to qualify for licensure:
Physicians Licensure Requirements
- Physicians applying for licensure must fulfill the following requirements:
- Must be graduates from an allopathic Medical School/College listed in the Avicenna Directory of Medical schools published by the World Health Organization (WHO) or the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) of the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER).
- For graduates from the UAE universities, the program and university must be accredited by the Ministry of Education (MOE/NQA).
Graduates with basic degree in Osteopathy opting for licensure as specialists or consultants will be accepted if their specialization is obtained from one of the following:
- American Board of Medical Specialties
- Certificates of Specializations of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- All Physicians are required to successfully complete one year i.e. 12 month’s internship post-graduation.
- Applicants must hold a valid License/Registration to practice in their home country and/or country of last employment (Where applicable).
Experience in the following specialties will be accepted as GP experience
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- This also applies to those who have Tier 3 qualifications but do not have the required experiences to be specialists (Three (3) years experiences).
- Applicants accepted into the Authorities’ Approved Residency Programs will be granted the licensure title “Resident”.
A recognized specialty certificates that is listed in the current PQR will be accepted with the following conditions:
- Must be obtained after a full-time structured clinical residency program of minimum three (3) years course duration.
- Clinical Master degree of minimum two (2) years of full time course duration.
- Clinical PhD of minimum three (3) years course duration of full time course duration.
- Specialization certificates with stated validity period will not be considered if invalid at the time of application.
- Specialists with Tier 1 or 2 qualifications are not required to have experience post qualification in the specialty field.
- The Authority recognized clinical programs in Public Health Medicine /Community Medicine shall be the Australasian Fellowship of the Royal College, the Canadian specialization certificate of the RCPS or CEPC, the UK and Ireland CCT and CSST, the American Board of medical specialties and Fellowship of the College of Public Health Medicine of South Africa.
- Qualifications not mentioned in this document may be evaluated and reviewed by the Authorities joint committee who may grant the applicant with the appropriate title.
- Are not required to have clinical experience post internship.
- Specialists with Tier 3 qualifications require at least one (1) years’ experience post qualification in the specialty field.
Non UAE nationals:
- Graduates from the UAE universities: exempt from experience post internship.
- Graduates from non UAE universities: are required to fulfill experience as per their relevant titles according to the PQR.
The following standard will apply to the UAE national physicians who started post graduate training prior to the publication of this PQR:
- if the qualification obtained is moved to a lower tier in the new PQR, then the previous credentialing criteria will apply.
- if the experience required is reduced in this current PQR, then the new criteria will be applied. as per the example shown in the example below:
|Example||Old licensing criteria||New PQR||Applied criteria|
|Physician applying for consultant holding Arab Board||Tier 2 And 8 years experiences||Tier 2 And 5 years experiences||Will be considered as Tier 2 And 5 years experiences|
Qualification and Experience Requirements for Physicians Licensure
|Intern||MBBS or MBChB or equivalent qualification from an accredited institution||No experience required|
|Resident||MBBS or MBChB or equivalent qualification from an accredited institution||Successful completion of internship program And Additional requirements as per the relevant Authority's residency standards|
|General Practitioner||MBBS or MBChB or equivalent qualification from an accredited institution||Successful completion of internship program And Two (2) years clinical experience|
|Specialist||MBBS or MBChB or equivalent qualification from an accredited institution And Completion of specialty qualification as per the Recognized Specialty Certificate table||
|Consultant||MBBS or MBChB or equivalent qualification from an accredited institution And Completion of specialty qualification as per the Recognized Specialty Certificate table||
- Physicians with an accredited American Board of Medical Specialty (ABMS) Certification, Specialization Certificate of the RCPSC, Certification by the College of Family Physicians Canada (CFPC), Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training (CCST) or Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) from the UK will attain the title of Consultant without the experience requirements. This does not apply to surgical and interventional specialties.
- Physicians holding ABMS, RCPSC, CCST or CCT in Surgical or Interventional specialties, who do not meet the experience requirements, are required to pass the Authorities’ assessments for licensure as consultants. However, they shall be reassessed 6 months post licensure for their surgical skills.
- Special experience considerations are applied on UAE Nationals and Graduates from the UAE universities, Please refer to point